Little Charley's story is told in the Children's Columns written by Methodist Hospital deaconesses.
The new signage display installed in Methodist Hospital Administration this week features images representing Methodist's past, present and future.
For Methodist Hospital, the 1920s started on a strong note with a new monthly birth record: 29 births, nearly one per day, in April 1921.
Watch the Kickoff Video.
Join in the Yearlong Celebration.
John M. Fraser, President & CEO, Methodist Health System
Hominy, turnips, corn starch pudding, beef steak, oysters, mutton chops and more....
The 1925 headline: "Newspaper Woman Leaves a Fortune to Cancer Victims."
The new Methodist Hospital at 36th and Cuming boasted a sun porch for convalescent patients, and the roof had a solarium for tuberculosis patients. Rest and quiet were considered essential treatments.
A 1901 fire near the original Methodist Hospital at 20th & Harney accelerated the plans underway for a new and larger facility. The Methodist Hospital that opened at 36th and Cuming in 1908 was called "a truly magnificent structure."
Methodist Hospital quickly developed a reputation for the highest standards in patient care and nursing instruction. See a sampling of Methodist's rules for student nurses from the early 1900s.
Dr. Harold Gifford, Sr., one of the fathers of the original Methodist Hospital, was an internationally renowned eye surgeon.
Who managed the first Methodist Hospital and assisted in administration and nursing services? Methodist deaconesses. These were women dedicated to saving lives and souls. Some were nurses in the hospital or in patients’ homes. Some were missionaries. Many were both.
In 2016, Methodist celebrates 125 years of serving the community. As members of the Methodist family, we are part of a long and proud tradition of compassionate caregivers and expert innovators. Each week, let's pause to take a look back into Methodist's history.