01.01.2020 Back to News

What You Need to Know About the Revised Form W-4

The following is information regarding the updated 2020 W-4 Form, Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate. This is the form you completed as a new hire or update to designate your tax withholding.

If you have no changes to your tax withholding for 2020, the following is informational only. You are not required to submit a new W-4.

In December 2019, the IRS issued a revised Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. The revised form no longer uses allowances to determine your withholding amount. Due to the late release of the finalized W-4 form for 2020, we are currently working with the vendor of our payroll system, INFOR-Lawson, to update and test the changes required to accurately calculate your federal withholding. Below are links to an FAQ prepared by the IRS to answer some of the questions you may have regarding the new Form W-4 and the new 2020 Form W-4.

While the federal Form W-4 will no longer use allowances, the State of Nebraska will continue to base the Nebraska withholding on marital status and allowances. Nebraska has developed its own state Form W-4N since the federal Form W-4 no longer utilizes allowances.

What does this mean for you?

If you need to make changes to your federal withholding, please continue to submit the changes through Employee Self Service (ESS), which is set up with the 2019 Form W-4. Once ESS is updated to accommodate the new federal Form W-4, we will notify you so you can complete a new federal Form W-4 and the Nebraska Form W-4N, if you are working in Nebraska. Employees working in a state other than Nebraska will only be asked to complete the federal Form W-4.

If you have no changes to your withholding, you will not be asked to complete the federal Form W-4. Employees will not be required to submit a new W-4.

Please review the FAQ provided by the IRS and the new federal Form W-4 to familiarize yourself with the new format. We will notify you once the Lawson programming has been updated.

If you have questions, please call Human Resources at (402) 354-2200.